Tag: Transportation

Prince Philip To Face No Further Action Over Car Crash

Prince Philip will face no further action over the accident 

The Duke of Edinburgh will face no further action over the collision on the A149 near Sandringham last month, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Prince Philip, 97, voluntarily surrendered his driving licence following the crash which saw one woman break her wrist. 

Philip had apologised for his part in the accident on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk when his Land Rover Freelander collided with another car, leaving two women needing hospital treatment. 

Buckingham Palace said the Duke of Edinburgh “respects the decision” taken by the CPS. 

The crash occurred on 17 January when he pulled out into a busy A road and collided with a Kia, carrying a nine-month-old boy, his mother, and another passenger. 

Some 48 hours after the crash he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, prompting fierce criticism.

At the time of the collision, celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman said Philip could face prosecution for driving without due care and attention, which carries an unlimited fine.

But the lawyer said the duke could avoid prosecution by surrendering his licence because it would decrease the chances of a case being in the public interest.

On Thursday Chris Long, chief prosecutor for CPS East of England, said it had been decided it was not in the public interest to prosecute.

“The CPS has carefully reviewed material submitted by the police in relation to a traffic collision on the A149 on 17 January this year,” he said.

“We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving licence.

“We have decided that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute.

“All those involved in the collision have been informed and provided with a full explanation in writing.”

The decision was made after considering all the evidence submitted by the police and in accordance with the two-stage test in the Code for Crown Prosecutors. 

Nissan Confirms X-Trail Model Will Not Be Built In Sunderland Adding That Brexit Is ‘Not Helping’

Nissan's plant in Sunderland.

Nissan has told staff in Sunderland that it will cancel plans to build its new X-Trail SUV at the plant there, following reports in the news on Saturday.

A letter from the chairman of Nissan Europe to Sunderland factory staff, which has been obtained by Sky News, confirmed the news and telling them the model will continue to be made in Japan.

The government said the news was “a blow to the sector and the region” but that no jobs would go.

In the letter, Gianluca de Ficchy said the reasons for the decision were a mixture of investment needed for emissions regulations and reduced sales forecasts, but added that Brexit had played a part.

He said the news would be “interpreted by a lot of people as a decision related to Brexit” and that “uncertainty around the UK’s future relationship with the EU is not helping companies like ours to plan for the future”.

He added: “With the UK’s departure from the EU on March 29th getting closer every week, we have a taskforce in place, reporting to me, that it is considering all of the possible scenarios and the potential impact on business.”

Business Secretary Greg Clark said: “Nissan’s announcement is no doubt a blow to the sector and the region, but the company has confirmed that no jobs will be lost as this was to be a further significant expansion of the site and the workforce.

“They have reiterated today their commitment to the UK by continuing to manufacture in Sunderland the current Qashqai, Leaf and Juke models and the new Qashqai model from 2020.”

Please see below an updated statement on the developments at Nissan. pic.twitter.com/NC1y7kiuRx

— Sharon Hodgson MP (@SharonHodgsonMP) February 3, 2019

Commenting on the story on Twitter, Jeremy Corbyn said: “The Conservatives’ botched negotiations and threat of a No Deal Brexit is causing uncertainty and damaging Britain’s economy.”

Meanwhile Sharon Hodgson, Labour MP for Washington and Sunderland West, said: “This is a great loss of future investment in Sunderland and I am sure that many people will share my huge and disappointment and concern at this news.

She added that she will be seeking answers from the government “as a matter of urgency”.

The Japanese car-maker had previously voiced concerns about Brexit, before committing to building the new Qashqai and X-Trail models at the north-east plant in October 2016.

At the time, the decision had eased concerns about the plant’s future post-Brexit.

Anyone who just wants us to accept some form of Brexit so we can get on with the real job of tackling the social & economic inequality in this country needs to remember what the government’s own leaked impact assessment said about how Brexit will affect Britain. #nissanpic.twitter.com/DmoiuYkbMc

— Anna Turley MP (@annaturley) February 3, 2019

X-Trail and Qashqai production had secured thousands of jobs in the Brexit-backing city, but prompted a volley of questions over whether a so-called “sweetheart deal” between the car-maker and the Government had been struck to protect the manufacturer from any post-Brexit EU tariff wall.

Ministers strongly denied any financial incentives were offered and Chancellor Philip Hammond said any costs arising from the assurances would be small enough to be covered within existing spending limits at the Department for Business.

Nissan is part-owned by French manufacturer Renault, which had led to concerns that production could be moved to France to avoid any tariffs which might be introduced on exports to the EU if the UK leaves the single market in a hard Brexit.

Other Nissan models built at the Sunderland plant include the Qashqai, Juke, Q30, Note and the zero-emission electric Leaf.

Earlier this month American car manufacturer Ford confirmed nearly 400 jobs would be lost at its engine manufacturing plant in Bridgend.

The company said the “voluntary separation programme” at the Welsh factory is needed to cut costs and create a “sustainably profitable business” in Europe. 

It followed a similar move by Jaguar Land Rover to reduce its 44,000 workforce by 4,500 under plans to make £2.5 billion of cost savings.

Most of the cuts will be in the UK, with a voluntary programme being launched, and are in addition to 1,500 workers who left the company last year. 

Japanese firm Honda also announced six non-production days in April under contingency plans to mitigate the risk of disruption to production at its Swindon factory after the UK leaves the EU.

Nissan Set To U-Turn On Plan To Build New X-Trail Model In Sunderland, Report Claims

Nissan is reportedly set to announce it has cancelled plans to build its new X-Trail SUV at its Sunderland plant, just 53 days before the UK is due to leave the EU.

The Japanese car-maker had voiced concerns about Brexit, before committing to building the new Qashqai and X-Trail models at the north-east plant in October 2016.

At the time, the decision had eased concerns about the plant’s future post-Brexit.

However, the latest reports have been described as “deeply troubling” by Houghton and Sunderland South MP, Bridget Phillipson.

“If confirmed, this would represent deeply troubling news for the north east economy,” she tweeted.

“So many jobs and livelihoods depend on Nissan’s success.”

The Sunderland plant, which has been active since 1986, employs almost 7,000 people, producing around 2,000 cars a day. According to Sky News, Nissan’s decision is not expected to have a major impact on jobs.

The Japanese company refused to shed light on the situation, with a spokesman saying: “Nissan does not comment on rumour or speculation.”

Sunderland Central MP, Julie Elliott, said: “I will do everything I can to protect jobs at the Sunderland plant.

What we are hearing is that #Nissan is no longer planning on building its new X-Trail model in #Sunderland, despite whatever secret assurances it was given by the government. I will do everything I can to protect jobs at the Sunderland plant. See my full statement below: pic.twitter.com/LNHEnlkbMg

— Julie Elliott MP (@JulieElliottMP) February 2, 2019

NOTHING TO DO WITH BREXIT https://t.co/FaLqKNsRJt

— Mary Creagh (@MaryCreaghMP) February 2, 2019

“I will be asking the Government to intervene, and will stay in close contact with the company itself. But we cannot deny the inevitable role that Brexit plays here. The constant uncertainty, the chaotic government.

“None of it is conducive to encouraging business investment in this country.”

According to Sky, the decision could likely be down to falling consumer demand for diesel vehicles and weak recent sales in Europe.

X-Trail and Qashqai production had secured thousands of jobs in the Brexit-backing city, but prompted a volley of questions over whether a so-called “sweetheart deal” between the car-maker and the Government had been struck to protect the manufacturer from any post-Brexit EU tariff wall.

Ministers strongly denied any financial incentives were offered and Chancellor Philip Hammond said any costs arising from the assurances would be small enough to be covered within existing spending limits at the Department for Business.

So many jobs and livelihoods depend on Nissan’s successBridget Phillipson MP

Nissan is part-owned by French manufacturer Renault, which had led to concerns that production could be moved to France to avoid any tariffs which might be introduced on exports to the EU if the UK leaves the single market in a hard Brexit.

Other Nissan models built at the Sunderland plant include the Qashqai, Juke, Q30, Note and the zero-emission electric Leaf.

Earlier this month American car manufacturer Ford confirmed nearly 400 jobs would be lost at its engine manufacturing plant in Bridgend.

The company said the “voluntary separation programme” at the Welsh factory is needed to cut costs and create a “sustainably profitable business” in Europe. 

It followed a similar move by Jaguar Land Rover to reduce its 44,000 workforce by 4,500 under plans to make £2.5 billion of cost savings.

Most of the cuts will be in the UK, with a voluntary programme being launched, and are in addition to 1,500 workers who left the company last year. 

Japanese firm Honda also announced six non-production days in April under contingency plans to mitigate the risk of disruption to production at its Swindon factory after the UK leaves the EU.

Prince Philip Pens Letter Of Apology To Woman Injured In Car Crash

The Duke of Edinburgh has told a mother-of-two who was injured in a car crash he was involved in that he is “deeply sorry”.

Prince Philip, 97, escaped injury on January 17 when the Land Rover Freelander he was driving collided with another vehicle when he pulled out of a driveway on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk on to a busy A road.

The duke’s car flipped over in the crash, which occurred when he was apparently dazzled by the low sun, and he was initially trapped and had to be rescued by a passing motorist.

The other vehicle involved, a Kia, was carrying a nine-month-old baby boy, his mother who was driving, and Emma Fairweather as a passenger.

The baby was unhurt, but both women had to be treated in hospital.

Fairweather, who broke her wrist, called for the duke to be prosecuted if found to be at fault.

In a letter to Fairweather dated January 21, he wished her a “speedy recovery” and said he “failed to see the car coming”.

The note, reported by the Sunday Mirror, said: “I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads.

“I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road.

“It was a bright sunny day and at about three in the afternoon, the sun was low over the Wash.

“In other words, the sun was shining low over the main road. In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences.

“I was somewhat shaken after the accident, but I was greatly relieved that none of you were seriously injured.

“As a crowd was beginning to gather, I was advised to return to Sandringham House by a local police officer. I have since learned that you suffered a broken arm. I am deeply sorry about this injury.

“I wish you a speedy recovery from a very distressing experience.”

The letter is signed “Yours sincerely Philip”.

Fairweather, 46, told the Sunday Mirror she was “chuffed” with the letter, adding: “I thought it was really nice that he signed off as ‘Philip’ and not the formal title. I was pleasantly surprised because of the personalised nature.

“A lot of people said it was unrealistic that I wanted that human kindness from Prince Philip – which is what I saw this letter as.”

Fairweather had previously complained that while the Queen, who had no involvement in the accident, had been in contact through a lady-in-waiting, she had not had any direct communication with the duke.

It is understood a similar letter was sent to the driver of the Kia.

The duke was photographed driving without a seatbelt 48 hours after the crash.

 

 

 

Duke of Edinburgh Privately Contacted And ‘Exchanged Well-Wishes’ With Women Injured In Car Accident

The Duke of Edinburgh has exchanged “well-wishes” with the two women injured in the dramatic car crash that saw his Land Rover roll across a busy A-road.

Philip contacted the driver and passenger privately following the accident on Thursday, and Buckingham Palace said the duke underwent another medical examination, this time at hospital, as a precaution following doctor’s advice.

The Queen’s consort was found to have “no injuries of concern” after his check-up on Friday morning. He was first examined soon after the accident by a doctor at Sandringham who gave a similar verdict.

The duke was lucky to walk away unscathed following the crash when the Land Rover Freelander he was driving rolled following a collision with a Kia, close to the Queen’s Sandringham estate.

Despite being aged 97 and having had a hip replacement operation last year, Philip appears to have no lasting problems following the crash.

A source said: “The duke’s routine in the coming days will continue as normal.”

Norfolk Police said two women – the 28-year-old Kia driver, who suffered cuts to her knee, and a 45-year-old passenger who broke a wrist – were treated at the local Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn that day and discharged.

There was also a miraculous escape for a nine-month-old baby boy who survived unhurt in the Kia, police said.

A palace spokeswoman said: “On doctor’s advice, the Duke of Edinburgh visited the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn this morning for a precautionary check-up.

“This confirmed His Royal Highness had no injuries of concern. The duke has returned to Sandringham.”

She added: “Contact has been made privately with the occupants in the other car and well-wishes exchanged.”

Eyewitness Roy Warne helped the stricken duke out of his car and said the royal, who was left very shocked by the accident, asked if everybody was all right and was overheard telling police he had been “dazzled by the sun”.

The crash happened on Thursday afternoon as Philip’s Freelander pulled out of a side road onto a stretch of the A149 which was earmarked by the local authority for possible safety measures.

At a meeting, coincidentally scheduled for Friday, Norfolk Country Council approved plans to lower the speed limit from 60mph to 50mph, backed by speed cameras.

Croydon Hit-And-Run Leaves Man In ‘Critical Condition’

A man is fighting for his life following a hit-and-run in Croydon on Wednesday evening.

Police were called by the London Ambulance Service just after 7.15pm to Whitehorse Road, in response to reports of a road traffic collision, and officers rushed to the scene along with an air ambulance team.

A car was “found to have been in a collision with a pedestrian, believed to be a male aged in his 30s,” Scotland Yard confirmed.

The man was taken to a south London hospital where he is in a critical condition.

The vehicle involved did not stop at the scene and no arrests have been made, police said, and road closures remain in place.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or who has information should call police on 101, quoting ref 7520/16 Jan.